June 5, 2014
BMI To Present 17th Annual Conducting Workshop Series
WHO: Broadcast Music, Inc.® (BMI®), a global leader in music rights management, and 2007 BMI Classic Contribution Award recipient, Lucas Richman.
• A BMI composer and conductor, Richman has led the private workshop, now entering its 17th year, since its inception.
• Richman is a leading expert in conducting and composing, having fashioned an outstanding career as a conductor with numerous symphonies and orchestras in the U.S.
• A Music Director for the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra since 2003, Richman also currently serves as Music Director and Conductor for the Bangor Symphony Orchestra.
• Richman received a GRAMMY Award (2011) in the category of Best Classical Crossover Album for having conducted the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra on Christopher Tin’s classical/world fusion album, Calling All Dawns.
• He has appeared as guest conductor with numerous orchestras including the New York Philharmonic, Philadelphia Orchestra, Los Angeles Philharmonic, Baltimore Symphony.
• Richman is an invaluable collaborator for many film composers, serving as conductor for movie scores including the Academy Award-nominated As Good As It Gets, Face/Off, Seven, Breakdown, Anastasia and The Village.
• Most recently, John Williams personally invited Richman to serve as the conductor for the three-month national summer tour of Star Wars in Concert.
• Composers Chris Bacon, Robert Lydecker, Dino Meneghin, Bryan E. Miller, Lolita Ritmanis, Lee Sanders and Sheridan Tongue have been selected to participate in the private 2014 BMI Conducting Workshop.
• The class is coordinated by Ray Yee, BMI Assistant Vice President, Film/TV Relations; Philip Shrut, BMI Associate Director, Film/TV Relations, along with BMI’s Film/TV staff.
• June 10, 12 & 14 - BMI Los Angeles office (8730 Sunset Blvd, Suite 300, West Hollywood, 90069)
• June 18 & 19 - The Musicians Union (817 Vine St, Hollywood, 90038)
• June 21 - The grand finale will take place at the Warner Brothers Studios scoring stage with full orchestra (Burbank, CA)
• BMI is proud to celebrate and nurture the art of conducting with the Company’s annual six-day private Conductor’s Workshop.
• Selected participants will hone their craft, from the fundamentals of conducting multimeter scores to conducting to picture with a 32-piece orchestra.
• Conducting workshop alumni include: Nathan Barr, Tyler Bates, Adam Berry, Bill Brown, David Buckley, Stewart Copeland, Richard Gibbs, Laura Karpman, Rolfe Kent, Kevin Kiner, Chris Lennertz, Cliff Martinez, Rick Marvin, Danny Pelfrey, Juan Carlos Rodriguez, Bennett Salvay, David Schwartz, Christopher Tin, Mervyn Warren, and Alex Wurman.
Marlene Meraz, BMI