BMI Member FAQs

« Back to FAQs I am a BMI writer or composer. How does BMI collect my foreign performance royalties?

While BMI’s license agreements are restricted to the United States, our reciprocal agreements with Copyright Societies in other countries allow us to collect royalties for foreign performances. Each society partner is responsible for monitoring activity in their represented territory. Royalties earned from these performances must first be collected by the partner society, and then remitted to BMI for distribution to our affiliates. This process can take 12-18 months depending on the country of origin. If you believe you are due royalties from foreign performances, please contact with as much information as possible about the activity, including the territory of activity, songs that have been performed, and performance source such as TV, Radio, or Streaming Service.

Need Support?

Can't find something you are looking for? Contact us.