or search Songview
Hospitals, Clinics, Care Centers and other Healthcare Facilities cover image

Music Licensing for Hospitals, Clinics, Care Centers, and Other Healthcare Facilities

BMI Makes It Simple to License the Music Used in Healthcare Facilities

Music has the power to make us feel better, and many healthcare facilities find it to be both a great healer and a great motivator for their patients. Playing music, however— whether it is recorded or on radio and TV programs in your rehabilitation areas, lobbies, or other areas— requires permission from the copyright owner. A BMI music license gives you the necessary copyright permission to play over 22.4 million songs in BMI’s award-winning repertoire and ensures that music creators are fairly compensated for their work. Here’s how you can get started:


Call (888) 689-5264 to get
a license over the phone.


Fill out our Online Form and a BMI Representative will get back to you with more information.

BMI’s Music License Saves You Time & Money

  • SAVE TIME & MONEY A BMI license saves you the time and expense of contacting each songwriter or composer for permission to play their music publicly.
  • SIMPLICITY Eliminates complex reporting and allows you to make music use changes online or over the phone.
    • Pay your bill online securely and easily.
    • Schedule your payments by choosing the billing plan that is right for your business, and you can also opt for automated payments.

As a member of HealthTrust you can take advantage of additional 20% off your BMI music license.

Common Questions for Music Licensing in Healthcare

If you have any questions about music licensing and how it works in hospitals and other healthcare facilities, please see below.

Also, be sure check out BMI’s Music Licensing FAQs or contact a BMI representative.

Any public performance of music whether performed live, recorded or through a television or radio. Common places where music is used are waiting rooms, lobbies, surgery or rehab centers, operating rooms, music therapy and physical therapy sessions.

The performance rights for your business are not included in the broadcast rights. However, the copyright law does provide certain exemptions based on the size of your establishment, how many TVs you have in each room, what their screen size is and how many speakers you have. Contact a BMI licensing representative to learn if these uses need to be licensed for your business.

Many commercial music services are licensed with BMI for the audio-only programming they provide to the business. The business must confirm that a particular CMS is appropriately licensed with BMI.