Music Licensing for Television
Music is a key component in any successful TV or film project. From movies such as Star Wars and Titanic to TV’s NYPD Blue with its unmistakable opening theme, BMI represents the best creative minds when television or film calls for sound in a visual medium. Whether it’s the opening theme that draws you in, the background music that keeps your emotions peaked, or local or network programming, BMI composers deliver the best music in TV and film.
NOTICE TO TMLC STATIONS
December 19, 2014
We are pleased to inform you that the BMI rate court issued an order on December 12, 2014 approving the final license agreements negotiated by Broadcast Music, Inc. (“BMI”) and the Television Music License Committee (“TMLC”) in the forms that were previously made available to you. The order is attached hereto. As we indicated to you previously, these licenses contain the financial terms agreed upon for the period 2005 through 2017 in the settlement reached by BMI and the TMLC in 2013. Accordingly, they reflect the same blanket and per program rates at which your station has been billed over the past 18 months.
OVERVIEW OF NEW FORM AGREEMENTS. The BMI-14 Licenses will affect your station as follows:
- The term of the BL and PPL shall be January 1, 2005 through December 31, 2017. The AFBL is available as of July 1, 2014.
- The fees and terms of the Local Television Stations’ interim blanket licenses in effect for 2005 through 2012 shall become final.
- The fee and terms of the Local Television Stations’ interim per program licenses in effect for 2005 through 2012 shall become final, subject to adjustment of any fees owed pursuant to Paragraphs 5, 7, and 8 of the BMI interim per program license and any resolution of any collection/audit issues.
- BMI will provide a discount in the aggregate amount of $3.5 million to stations licensed under the per program license. The discount has been and will continue to be allocated based on a methodology developed by the TMLC. The discount began in March 2013 and will continue for twenty-three (23) additional months.
- For calendar years 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017, annual industry-wide blanket license fees for all Local Television Stations licensed under the BMI-14 Licenses by BMI shall be $78,650,000. Beginning in March 2013, stations were billed based on the new blanket license fee. A credit was issued for any difference between the interim fee amounts billed for January and February 2013 and the new final fees for those months.